Three bookings I’ve lost in the last couple of months now, which were all 99% signed on the dotted line. The reason in each case?
“We like your work, but my…
- …79 year old Father-in-law-to-be…
- …fiancé’s work mate…
- …close family friend…
…has offered to do our wedding photography for us instead.”
All 3 are genuine responses for cancellations I’ve received recently. It begs the question; why did you come looking for a professional photographer in the first place? By no means downplaying nor belittling the skills & talents of these acquaintances & relatives, however the first question is – surely if they are sufficiently close to you that you want them as your photographer, then by token you want them to be a part of and to enjoy your wedding?
So why should you hire me instead, rather than letting your generous and well-intentioned Uncle do it instead?
- Fully prepared – I come with 2 of everything, backups of backups – no second chances, and no room for error!
- There is more to running a successful photography business than owning a nice camera.
- My own ‘Milk Wood’ photographic editing style.
- Amateur photographer = more work for you.
- Many happy couples’ worth + 5 years of experience.
- Option of an additional 2nd photographer to capture alternative perspectives & viewpoints.
- Allow your friend or relative to relax, and enjoy the day, and finally…
- …you want them to be in the photos too!
My advice? Don’t ignore the kind & generous offer – but just be aware of what you could be missing out on.